Chris Alemany <chris...@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes 'man hier' is available under macOS 10.14.6
>
> /opt is not an unusual place to put open source stuff on Mac, it is
> what wview used as well.  However, I would lean toward /var as well as
> Vince suggested or even put the logs within the user defined area (I
> have mine in /Users/Shared/weewx/logs) so it’s all in one place which
> has been nice from an accessibility standpoint.

This is messy.  Often in hier (which is a BSD thing from way back),
there is a notion that it's talking about system files.  For that, /var
is arguably right.

But, on mac you can't write into /usr (System Integrity Protection), and
really you shouldn't use --prefix=/usr, but something else.  pkgsrc used
to use /usr/pkg, like on other systems, and is now /opt/pkg to avoid the
SIP restriction (avoid, not evade, as writing in /opt is an ok thing to
do - /usr/pkg would be ok too but is not allowed anyway).

Once you have a special prefix, then one can put things in ${PREFIX}/var
so it is logically associated.

I see your point about read-mostly vs rw, but if it's all on / anyway,
then I don't see that it matters much.