Thomas Keffer <tkef...@gmail.com> writes:

> I must be missing something, and I am most definitely not a Mac expert, but
> my laptop doesn't even have an /opt directory.

It doesn't, and macs don't have /home by default either (mac uses
/Users/$USERNAME instead).  But either /opt or /home can be created,
even with SIP on.   /opt has more of a connotation of an installed
package and /home as more of a pseudouser.

But they are just strings, and mwall's comment about aligning the
default setup.py path to /home/weewx to match other platforms is
compelling.