Greg’s note conveys what I was trying to say about system applications better
than I could. The truth is, if Weewx decides to go the “stuff in installing
user’s home directory” route - I’ll just make it installed by the Weewx user,
which gets much (not all) of what I want. I do believe that the normal Python
installers are optimized for a use case that isn’t Weewx, or any , and programs
like ufw and fail2ban that are - as Greg points out - single instance system
installs vs something any user can run. They  are going to struggle to fit into
the python install shoehorn even more than Weewx, which doesn’t require root
access to run, like these two do.

Sent from my iPhone