Cool - some quick testing things I noticed in a ubuntu2204 vagrant vm...

The vagrant base ubuntu2204 VM is very minimal so I needed to add a couple
packages:

   - sudo apt-get update
   - sudo apt-get install -y python3-venv  # for venv itself
   - sudo apt-get install -y gcc           # to compile pyephem within the
   venv

I also did the station create explicitly just to try that too (which worked
fine):

   - weectl station create --driver weewx.drivers.simulator --no-prompt

Also tested calling weewxd from outside of the venv via a full path ala
~/weewx_venv/bin/weewxd which I suppose is where a future systemd startup
file use if an absolute path was specified (???)

Re: your installer mechanisms options, I lean toward this way since it
relies on just core python and not a third party wrapper tool that might
theoretically go away someday or might not work on all the unusual/creative
places folks run weewx on like NAS or under WSL and the like.

For the future, I guess I'd like to also see docs re: how to upgrade weewx
and/or switch to a specified version of weewx.  Sometimes folks need/want
to freeze to a particular version.

Very cool though as-is !