OK, maybe you are missing the device driver.

It looks like your USB uses a CP210x controller (all Davis loggers seem to
use this chip), so you want the cp210x driver. Try

lsmod

and see if it has been loaded. If not, you can see if it is available on
your system:

grep cp210x /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep

If it is available, load it with

sudo modprobe cp210x

If it is not available, you will have to do some Googling to see if it's
available for your machine. Chances are it's out there somewhere. Then
you'll have to build and install. I'm not an expert on this, but if you get
stuck, I will try to help you out. Others in the user's group have much
more experience at this...

-tk