I dont know if it is possible to add an Observer to the USB style Fine
Offset stations, but now that we have fully functional Observer drivers it
is a rock solid solution at a FO price point.  I should add that I run my
station on a FreeBSD box, not a Pi - that could be another reason why it
just does not go offline.