On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:48:11 AM UTC-8, fraban wrote:

> we solved the problem with raspberries and SD Cards with writings most
> things to "RAMDISK" /  tmp Files.  So RAM Drive is the solution for the
> problem.

# For Debian Jessie - RAM Drive using weewx
> tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs
> defaults,nosuid,mode=0755,nodev,noatime   0       0
> tmpfs           /var/log        tmpfs
> defaults,nosuid,mode=0755,nodev,noatime   0       0

tmpfs           /var/tmp        tmpfs
> defaults,nosuid,mode=0755,nodev,noatime   0       0

tmpfs           /var/run        tmpfs   defaults,nosuid,mode=0755,noatime
>             0       0

hmmm - this is really interesting, you can stick syslogs and /tmp and
/var/tmp in tmpfs just by editing fstab ?  Cool.

I did this in a vagrant vm and it's making systemd rather unhappy, although
the system seems to run ok:

   - initial login after bootup is 'very' slow
   - systemctl reports user@MYUID.service failed
   - systemctl reports systemd-update-utmp.service failed
   - systemctl reports 'Failed to start System Logging Service' every 90
   secs or so
   - systemctl reports watchdog timeout for systemd.logind
   - systemctl reports watchdog timeout for systemd.journald

I did a little more research with some controlled reboots and found that
systemd really doesn't like /var/run in tmpfs.

   - not putting /var/run into tmpfs made the problems above go away, and
   'systemctl' is clean

Does a 'systemctl' command on your system show a couple failed processes ?

tmpfs /var/www/weewx  tmpfs   defaults,nosuid,mode=0755,nodev,noatime
>   0       0
> tmpfs           /var/log/nginx  tmpfs
> defaults,nosuid,mode=0755,nodev,noatime         0       0

   - for the weewx directory, your NOAA reports will disappear every time
   you reboot, so wouldn't weewx (very slowly) regenerate them every reboot ?
   - I didn't notice where your archive directories are located.  Do you
   copy the old one back into place via rc.local or something on every reboot ?

Cool idea putting that stuff in tmpfs rather than hard-allocating a ramdisk
and maybe not using it...that'll give me more free space on the pi that
does my weathercam.  Thanks !