About a decade ago, I read this paper *The Absolute Minimum Every Software
Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets
<http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html>.* It does a great job
of explaining code sets. Even if you're not a developer, it explains why
some email comes out as gobbledygook. Highly recommended.

-tk