On Monday, December 12, 2016 at 7:57:16 PM UTC-5, ponolan wrote:

> A 2nd console on batteries would provide some insurance against data gaps.
> But if I upgrade to a station recording radiation and UV I'd lose the
> redundancy. (I'm assuming that a 2nd console could receive the same data
> and that the comms are one way, but I'm not sure of that. Comments welcome
> if anyone knows.)

any number of consoles can receive data from a single fine offset
instrument cluster.

beware that not every fine offset console can speak with every fine offset
instrument cluster.  aside from the us/eu frequency differences, there was
also a change in rf protocol in 2011, so consoles pre-2011 cannot hear
sensors post-2011 and vice versa.

an even less expensive approach is to use a 20$US sdr dongle to capture the
data.  however, with this approach you also need to build/install a
pressure sensor and temperature/humidity sensor to match those of the fine
offset console.  this is easily done directly on a raspberry pi.  it used
to be even easier to do it with one-wire, but since hobby boards went out
of business there aren't many places to get one-wire pressure and humidity
sensors.