..... and I thought I was a pedant !!!!!!!!!!!!!

most stations with a tipping cup measuring device provide the rain
measurements in metric and/or imperial as being measured in units of .3 or
.2 mm or .01" per tip - which means there is probably already a
rounding error before the floats even begin to have an effect depending on
whether the measuring cup was actually manufactured to imperial standards,
metric standards or is just somewhere in-between!!!!  Davis uses .2,
Fineoffset use .3 ..........  The implication is that an error of .01" over
a month is probably (possibly) insignificant given the likely error in the
initial reading anyway!!!!

I limit the digits in my MySQL database by setting the datatype to
double(5,2) for rain and rainrate and double(5 or 6,1) for other fields so
that I at least do not have to look at masses of decimal digits when
viewing the tables with phpmyadmin.  I've never checked to see if this
beneficial change (to me) affects any calculations though!!!