On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 3:55:33 PM UTC-8, Steve Dulmes wrote:

> Has anyone had any success with the Amazon Echo with weewx data. I would
> like to be able to ask Alexa for the temperature, wind chill, how much rain
> we had today, etc. Would this be done with IFTTT?

ok, I had greater than zero success using the Flash Briefing skill
walkthrough at
https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/alexa/alexa-skills-kit/docs/steps-to-create-a-flash-briefing-skill#add-one-or-more-flash-briefing-feeds

and got Alexa to read my rss.xml file that the standard skin creates.

   - followed the instructions in the link above to create the skill,
   pointing at the Internet-accessible URL for the rss.xml file my weewx
   system generates
   - had to create a 512x512 image to upload for it to proceed (ugh).  I
   took the weewx icon from weewx.com and scaled it up using an online image
   modifier I found via google
   - enabled the new skill in my developer portal at amazon
   - got in 'settings' in the alexa app on the phone and disabled all my
   news flash feeds, enabled just my new weewx one
   - got in skills in the alexa app on the phone and ensured my new weewx
   one was enabled
   - tried "alexa flash briefing" and it read my rss.xml file contents to
   me including currents, min/max data, etc....there's a long list in rss.xml
   by default

So it's doable with some tweaking in about 10 minutes of learning using the
link above.

Now what I'm sure everybody (including me) wants is more of a custom
interaction skill, not a flash briefing skill, along the lines of "alexa
wee weather please" and have it give you the home weather.  I have to think
that's doable.  The one thing I can't figure out is how we could have a
generic skill that did that kind of model, where everybody would put in
their own URL to read, because I 'think' we would all need a custom skill
of our own with our unique url to read somehow.

But it is pretty cool getting alexa to read my weewx current conditions to
me :-)