Andrew,

The issue here is windSpeed and windGust being identical.
$day.windSpeed.max and $day.windGust.max come from archive_day_windSpeed
and archive_day_windGust respectively, archive_day_wind shoudl have nothing
to do with either. At a guess I would say that somehow windGust is
polluting archive_day_windSpeed. How that is happening is the question. The
handling of wind by weewx is complex. I have just spent the last hour
trying to get my head around it and I am still not there. Something I will
ask Tom about.

Gary