I had a suspicion the issue was with apptemp and gauge autoscaling; since
weeWX (by default) calculates appTemp and adds it to each loop/archive
packet but does not natively archive appTemp, there are no stats available
for appTemp, just the current value. I knew the SteelSeries gauges do not
like null values in its data feed yet I foolishly left the day high and low
apptemp fields in gauge-data.txt go to None (which results in null in the
gauge-data.txt JSON format). This messed up the autoscaling that is
triggerred when switching to F (I suspect that if you set rtgd to output F
it would work fine but when you then change display to C it would exhibit
similar bad behaviour). There are a few options:

1. customise weeWX to archive appTemp, ie follow the instructions at Adding
a new observation type
<http://weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#Adding_a_new_observation_type> in
the Customization Guide. Note that there is no need to add a service as
appTemp is already calaculated, the only real change is that you need to
add appTemp to the db and set its units. Pretty easy stuff.

2. set apptempL and apptempH both to 0. The light red wedge on the apparent
temp gauge that shows the appTemp day range would not show, we can't make
up data so no problems there. The mouseover plot would show the day low and
high to be 0 (or maybe 32 deending on source and display units) - that will
be wrong but at least it is largely hidden from the user. The autoscaling
could have some issues if you were in a very hot location where all your
temps (outTemp, windchill, heatindex, humidex, dewpoint, appTemp) were
relatively high; the apptempL and apptempH values may skew the autoscaling
to the lower end. But the nonsense behaviour currently happening would not
occur.

3. set apptempL and apptempH both to the current appTemp value. Again the
light red wedge on the apparent temp gauge that shows the appTemp day range
would not show. The mouseover plot would show the day low and high to be
whatever the current appTemp value is - again that will be wrong but at
least it is largely hidden from the user. The autoscaling would not be
uspet (ie skewed) under any circumstances.

4. use weeWX-WD to record appTemp in a separate database. This has all the
advantages of 1. without the need to chnage the weeWX database (which is
not really an issue). I don't think this is a practical solution, its a bit
like buying a Mack truck just to take a trip to the corner store for the
paper each day (and finding your truck probably breaks down once a month!).

At the moment I am leaning towards a hybrid; look for a day low/high appTemp,
if they are available use them, otherwise set both to the current appTemp
value. I could probably include a silent option in the rtgd config to
specify a binding from where to get appTemp data which would default to
wx_binding (the weeWX default binding) (I have my appTemp data in a
separate datbase so this ability will almost certainly be included :) )

Gary