Long time weewx user here, I think I was Tom's first or second beta user (V
0.9). I started using hacked Linksys NSLU2s (aka 'slugs') but the flash
memory would get corrupted after a few months. Tom and I hooked up in a
forum discussing the then new PC-Fit Slims, a tiny fanless low-power PC
which was a *perfect *hardware platform for weewx. The PC-Fit's were
expensive but highly reliable. I think I've had this particular PC-Fit Slim
running for five or six years, one time I think a sector got corrupted on
its HDD and I had to rebuild the system.

Recently it wouldn't answer a heartbeat ping from my WebSwitch (remote
power controller) about once a week and the switch would power cycle that
outlet. This is very unusual, it would previously run for months with no
attention needed. I think for some reason the network would go down and for
a while I thought that it was basically bricked. It finally came up and I
thought I better retire the box, rebuild it and keep it for a spare. The
Ubuntu version wasn't being supported any longer so that was another good
reason to rebuilt it.

The PC-Fit Slim's are long retired and Compulab has a new series of boxes,
after looking at less expensive alternatives I decided to stick with
Compulab. So in front of me as I type this is a brand new unopened MintBox
Mini Pro. AMD A10 Micro-6700T microprocessor, 2Gb ram, 120Gb SSD. The box
has the latest Linux Mint pre-installed.

So we will have fun getting this guy set up and running. I've never used
Linux Mint but it's based on Debian and Ubuntu so there shouldn't be any
surprises.

John
WB5THT - weather.janeandjohn.org, CWOP EW0158