Hi, John!

My Fit-PC is still going strong, after over 8 years of continual duty.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I reinstalled the operating system for reasons I
don't recall. Like you, I could not get a more modern version of Ubuntu to
work. Fortunately, Ubuntu has a repository of previously released versions
<http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/>, so I just reinstalled 8.04
("Hardy Heron"), which works fine (32-bits, of course).

The other trick is to install the "server" version, which is much smaller
and simpler, with fewer things to go wrong.

I'll bet there's still a few years of life left in that box of yours!

-tk