I'm getting the same issue, and, since the display is not showing the
phantom rain spike, I assume it's in the USB communication.  I've ordered a
shorter USB cable with ferrite cores, but, in the mean time, since I'm
using US measurements, I added

[stdQC]
       rain = 0, 0.4, inch

Is that correct, or should I use mm to avoid a decimal value?

weewx did not give an error when I ran it, as it did when I got the syntax
wrong.