There is one major problem and very good reason why I always want to use
Rain as sum.

Think about what happens when your station is offline for a short while.

Temperature - not a big deal
Humidity - not a big deal
just small gaps

Rain - major issue because the totals are not going to add up. With the
other parameters we use averages, so it doesnt matter so much, but wih rain
it has to be cumulative value so that even when there is a gap, it will
still calculate the overall total correctly.