On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 1:41:41 PM UTC-7, vince wrote:

> I'd be very interested in writeups of these kinds of setups that enable
> the VP2 console to be situated far away in the house from the actual
> computer running weewx.

It's not really a write up but:

My setup is very simple.  I took the work that Dekay did here:

http://madscientistlabs.blogspot.com/2011/10/build-your-own-davis-console-datalogger.html

<http://madscientistlabs.blogspot.com/2011/10/build-your-own-davis-console-datalogger.html>,

and addapted it to an ESP8266 module:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13678.  Both systems run 3.3 volt logic,
so no shifting is necessary.  Simply connect GND to GND RX to TX, and TX to
RX, and power the module.  I added a 3.3v regulator to the board, and then
tied off the 5v brick provided for the Vantage to avoid extra wall warts.

Flash the ESP8266 with JeeLabs esp-link, https://github.com/jeelabs/esp-link,
and configure it for your network. Finally, set the IP and Port in
weewx.conf, and that's all she wrote!

Obviously, you need good wifi signal, and this comes with all the downsides
of most other homebrew connections, no local storage, so if Weewx stops
running, that data is lost, requires software archiving, etc.  But it comes
with the benefit of no unsightly cables.  It will also only work with the
consoles that were released before they started baking in the DRM, (green
dot consoles as they have been referred to)  I'm sure that both of these
can be addressed with the rest of the work that DeKay has done, but I
haven't taken the time to do so for my module.

The OP's solution is even easier, although more expensive, but also much
more robust.  Take the Vantage Serial module from Davis, plug it into a
Serial Server: https://www.ebay.com/i/292322627039?rt=nc
<https://www.ebay.com/i/292322627039?rt=nc>, plug in a network cable, and
get it on the network, again configuring Weewx for IP, with the correct
address and port.  This *shouldn't* have any of the same limitations that
my solution does.  Since you are using the 'proper' module, DRM isn't an
issue, and the storage is there, ready to be accessed.

A third option is to purchase Davis's Weatherlink IP:
https://www.davisnet.com/product/weatherlinkip-for-vantage-stations/  which
does the same as the OP's solution, without any adational hardware.
Depending on your needs and pocket book, this may be the 'best' solution,
as there are less peices to fail, and Davis has presumably spent many hours
and $$ engeniering the solution.

PS. Sorry for the hijack!