Louis - thanks for restoring my sanity!!  Yes, it is a FineOffset which I
have got.  In the summer I see the issue when I turn the AC on and in
winter when I light the kerosene stoves!!  So, it's a faulty station design
- which was, I will admit, a conclusion I was coming to following Tom's
patient answer.  I suspect the issue is that the sensor is not insulated
well enough - but if the same sensor is used for temperature - which would
not require the same insulation - the issue is unresolvable!!  Maybe I will
try and get a separate pressure gauge and take readings from that instead!!