Is dpkg still recommended? I came to my conclusion after reading the docs.

The latest revision of the installation guide for Debian-based
distributions doesn't even mention dpkg.

http://www.weewx.com/docs/debian.htm

It is still one of the recommended ways to upgrade an existing
installation, though.