On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 9:48:57 AM UTC-4, Graham Seward wrote:

> Hi
> Did you ever get a solution to this issue. I have weewx running with
> Susan's HP1000 driver connecting to a Maplin N23-dq (HP1000 clone). Took me
> a while to get it going in first place but eventually a firmware upgrade on
> the HP1000 resulted in success. However after a couple of hours of running
> weewx stops. Syslog throws up the same error as yours:
>
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]: engine: Main loop exiting.
> Shutting engine down.
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]: engine: Shutting down StdReport
> thread
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]: engine: StdReport thread has been
> terminated
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]: engine: Caught unrecoverable
> exception in engine:
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****  unpack requires a
> string argument of length 104
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****  Traceback (most recent
> call last):
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****    File
> "/home/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 871, in main
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****      engine.run()
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****    File
> "/home/weewx/bin/weewx/engine.py", line 187, in run
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****      for packet in
> self.console.genLoopPackets():
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****    File
> "/home/weewx/bin/user/HP1000.py", line 524, in genLoopPackets
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****      interp_data =
> struct.unpack("8s8s16s8shbb14fbbh", rxData)
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****  error: unpack requires
> a string argument of length 104
> Mar 31 17:04:38 raspberrypi weewx[1148]:     ****  Exiting.
>
> Weewex v3.8 on Raspberry Pi model B
> Short of shutting down and restarting I have not been able to resolve the
> issue
>
> I've searched all the threads and can't find a solution - is there one?
> Any help apprecia

 Hi Graham,
Yes I did get a fix for the problem.  Thats the short answer.  The long
answer is I hacked the driver and if I remember Weewx it self.  I'll post
what I did, but I want you to know that I'm a (almost) 80 yr old truck
driver not a programmer.
Maybe Susan will see this and chime in.

Luck
Bob