First off, my apologies to all - given the subject line I completely missed
that this question was related to my HP1000 driver.
Given the line number, you are using the latest version of the driver (I
note that the driver that Bob provides above is based on the earlier
version).
Is it possible to edit the HP1000.py file and change  line 524 from

interp_data = struct.unpack("8s8s16s8shbb14fbbh", rxData)

try:
    interp_data = struct.unpack("8s8s16s8shbb14fbbh", rxData)
except:
    loginf('Bad data: length = {0}', len(rxData))
    loginf('Bad data: "{0}"', rxData)
    continue

(Note the indenting of 4 spaces - Pythin is very sensitive to the indenting
of the code.)
That should dump out to the system log file the bad data so that we can
look at it and see what is wrong.

When I wrote the driver I only had my own weather station as a guide so if
other firmware creates different sized (or formatted) records then there
will be problems. It is hard to know the level of 'error protection' that
is needed when yo don't know the sources of the possible errors (at least
that is my excuse!).

Susan