Hi,

If you are using hardware record generation then I suspect you are getting
Davis' view on rainRate; see page 12
https://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/app_notes/AN_28-derived-weather-variables.pdf
 It's not explicitly said but it appears that the Vantage stations calculate
rainfall rate based on the difference between successive tips, so would appear
you need two tips.

You could force weeWX to calculate rainRate itself by setting rainRate =
software under [StdWXCalculate] [[Calculations]] in weewx.conf. This will force
weeWX to calculate rainRate based on rainfall in a sliding window scaled to an
hour. The default window is 15 minutes. You can vary this window by setting
rain_period = window under [[Calculations]] where window is the window length
in seconds.

Personal preference at the end of the day, but I prefer to take what the
hardware says unless there is good reason not to.

Gary