The VP2 archive record only contains the 16 points - so that is what you
should get when you select hardware record generation.  There was a bug
introduced at 3.7 which meant weewx was overriding the hardware value even
if hardware was selected.  This is what Thomas has corrected if am
understanding correctly.

If you select sw generation then weewx can perform its magic from the loop
data and give you a different (possibly more accurate) value

I think I have understood this correctly

ie if you select hardware records you will only ever get the 16 compass
points in the archive record.