Colin and Pat,
I recognize the difficulty. I think leaving the files out of the install
package is the correct thing to do. I also think that you are correct in
not having two versions of the installer. I guess I can think of two
potential options.

1. If the installer is smart enough (I don't know what capabilities it
actually has), it can check to see if the inc files exist during the
install. If not, then it's a new install and can drop the files where they
belong. If they don't exist, then it's an upgrade and copying the files can
either be skipped, or dropped with a different name about.inc.example and
records.inc.example perhaps. I'm thinking about people (like me, for
example :-) ) who aren't competent in writing html code).

2. If the installer can't make those checks, then either publish
rudimentary sample html text for each file right in the README.md file or
just put links in the README.md file to external files stored in GitHub but
not in the archive file.

By the way, I appreciate how much work Pat has put into developing this and
the responsiveness to folks posting to this thread is just awesome.

Phil