From: weewx-user@googlegroups.com <weewx-user@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Philip Kutzenco
Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 5:53 PM
To: weewx-user <weewx-user@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [weewx-user] Re: Belchertown Skin and MQTT With Username Not
Working

The answer to that question is no. I've attached a file with sanitized excerpts
of my weewx.conf file showing the stanzas related to:

1. MQTT (publishing) - which specifies a username and password but not
websocket (port 8883 - SSL not websocket)

2. Belchertown Highcharts

3. Belchertown (subscribing) - which specifies websockets but no
username/password (port 9001 - SSL and websocket)

You'll need to check with Pat, but I expect he saw no reason to lock down the
subscriptions with username/password when programming his skin, only locking
down the publishing (which is done by MWall's MQTT extension). I think the
rationale is you don't care who sees the output (after all, it's being
published on an open web site), but you don't want any unauthorized uploading
of data which you'll be outputting and displaying to others.

So, if the MQTT broker requires a username/password for subscribing over
websockets, I don't know if the skin provides for that. I assume you've tried
to prepend <username>:<password>@ to the host name in the Belchertown Extras
stanza without success.

Hopefully Pat can weigh in here.

phil