OK, this is not the symptom that this thread applies to - it might be more
relevant to the hanging thread - I'll explain why at the end.

The logs are demonstrating total loss of data - this is similar to the
previous problem, where the data stops, and my driver update detects this
and resends the initialisation command.
Where this is different is the restart command seems to have no effect. The
wmr300 console resolutely stops sending data.
Even restarting weewx is not enough to make it wake up.

There are 3 possibilities I can think of.

   1. hardware fault in USB
   2. kernel driver fault in USB code
   3. WMR300 USB code is very touchy and liable to deadlock - which I
   discovered when trying to modify the code. It gets upset if both sides try
   to read or write at the same time.

for point 3, I have tried to put lots of workarounds to try to ensure it
does not happen, but there might be hardware timing differences between
systems causing problems on one setup and not another.
for point 2, this gets back to the kernel version differences.  Maybe this
is how my experimental driver responds to the same problem that locks up
under libusb0. Which kernel is this happening on?
for point 1 - not a lot I can do there, wait to see if other people
replicate it.

The next steps would be:

   - try the other kernel
   - try another USB port, if available
   - when it happens next time, see what happens if you simply unplug the
   USB for a few seconds. This will reset the WMR300 console comms, it should
   also reset the kernel.driver code.

Cameron.