So having done a bit of googling around it would appear that installing
older versions of packages with later versions of OS could work if one knew
what one was doing, but also this could be fraught with danger with regards
to dependencies, and so it went on....... into the
So that I can make considered decision on a way forward with this project
to upgrade the raspberry pi OS to the latest version (stretch) could
somebody advise me on the following.
(I made some assumptions earlier but never sort clarification )
1) currently raspberry pi stretch OS using weewx and using fineoffset usb
driver cannot recover from a usb lockup because the stretch OS uses a later
version of python-usb.
2) only a manual disconnect and power down of the weather station can
recover a usb lockup with the later version of python-usb
3) currently raspberry pi jessie OS using weewx and using fineoffset usb
driver can recover from a usb lockup because the jessie OS uses an earlier
version of python-usb.
4) would there any weewx development to regain this functionality to
control the usb port using the later version of python-usb

Thanks