I am currently running weewx (on a Raspberry Pi) inputting data from a
Vantage Vue station, using a sqlite3 database to archive the data. I
publish the generated webpages via an external web hosting service. I want
to set up a development weewx instance on a second Raspberry Pi and point
it to the existing database to get generated output. This would allow me to
have the output from my development instance display current data gathered
from the production instance. But, if I hose my output while making changes
in the development instance, I won't impact the published webpages.

I'm looking for advice and have a few questions:

    1. Is there a way to run a weewx instance that skips the device input
(since that will be handled by the production instance) but goes through
the output items a skin would do including generating html pages and
copying them into the public_html directory?

    2. Is migrating to MySQL a better choice for this kind of setup? I
would think that using MySQL will solve any issues of locking caused
if/when both instances access the database simultaneously (though one is is
reading and writing while the other is only reading).

    3. I am also thinking of moving the database (and maybe other weewx
directories) to a Synology NAS and mapping those locations to my two weewx
instances to reduce SDCard writes. Are there any significant gotchas or
warnings I should take heed of regarding this?

phil