Gary,

Thanks for your advice. I shall take it and set up my development instance
as you suggest!

Also, thanks to Thomas for the info on the Raspberry Pi SD Card writes. I'd
heard some time ago that a high quality SD Card is important when running a
Pi. So, similar to Thomas' test setup, I am using a SanDisk Extreme Pro
card on my production instance. I back the database up nightly (using the
weewx rsync extension to ensure the database is between accesses) and keep
a months worth of versions. So, it looks like there isn't any urgency for
me to change my production instance setup- one less thing to do.

phil