"*If data you removed is still there then you have operationally done
something wrong*."

Thanks Andrew for mentioning this, that's likely what has happened - I
screwed something up and only thought I had removed the bogus data.

In answer to your other questions, I tried to follow verbatim what Tom has
outlined in his article, but most likely I didn't.

I just now browsed /var/lib/weewx/weewx.sdb and the data I thought that I
had deleted is still there <sigh>. I'll have another go at it in a moment,
but am also wondering: is it practicable to delete the entirety of
/var/lib/weewx/weewx.sdb and then import
<http://www.weewx.com/docs/utilities.htm#Importing_from_Weather_Underground>
my Weather Underground data? There's a little more than a month's worth for
KMEELLSW50
<https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMEELLSW50>