I'm not sure if this will help as I don't have to point my old USB weather
station device to WeeWX anymore but have a couple of others that used to
cause me grief.

I use a RPi and use udev rules to distinguish my identical serial - USB
adaptors having the same ID by using the port name. The only other thing I
have to make sure is that each device is always plugged into its
corresponding USB port as they are unique.

For me: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-envir.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", KERNELS=="1-1.3",
SYMLINK+="measureit", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", KERNELS=="1-1.5",
SYMLINK+="eversolar", MODE="0666"

Regards,

Steve.