One thing 3.9.0  changed was the log_success and log_failure settings in
weewx.conf. Just to make sure nothing is being hidden from you edit weewx.conf
and under [StdReport] set log_failure = True. Also set debug = 1, I don't think
debug is going to tell us much more but let's give it a go. Save weewx.conf. In
the /vat/www/html/weewx directory find and delete the file #FTPlast. Restart
WeeWX.

See what happens, if no change post the log from startup showing the entire
startup and at least a couple of complete report cycles.

I don't see copy_always helping, that applies to the CopyGenerator only and
since the file concerned is already in /var/www/html/weewx we don't need to
copy it there. Just out of interest, can you give us an outline of how
image1.jpg arrives in /var/www/html/weewx ?

Gary