That's an interesting idea. You might be able to use the console connector
present on every SIM board to capture the same packets that are sent out on
radio - *if* it's only the original radio that's dead. The only issue is
the power consumption of the ESP32. Whatever ULP mode it has, WiFi will
always consume orders of magnitude higher than an RFM module.