Werner,
You wouldn't happen to be using "tail -f /var/log/syslog" would you?
File may have rotated.  CTRL-C the tail and run it again or just grab both the
plain syslog files a la:

$ cd /var/log
$ tar cf - syslog syslog.1 | gzip -9 > /tmp/syslog.tgz

And send the /tmp/syslog.tgz

Regards,
\Leon
--
Leon Shaner :: Dearborn, Michigan (iPad)