Thanks all,
John: I did check and I don't have any string formats in weewx.conf, but
I'll add them and see if it makes any difference, it will be tomorrow
before I have a chance.

tk: I know I am using software record generation, as I have a home brew
interface that doesn't support hardware generation, and my graphs look
normal and continuous, unlike the one in the linked post.  The average and
RMS values are calculated on the fly based on the archive record in the
database, are they not?

For reference, my station is visible at Carlincomputing.duckdns.org/weewx
if you can glean any useful information from there.