thank you all for the encouragement and ideas.   The gist of the posts is
go with the python 2.7 and version 3 of weewx.  That is probably the safest
since the only 2 statements I know in python 3 are exit() = exit and print
= print().  If I find the model 2 RPi unstable I'll go for the newer RPi
model 4.  I have several model 2 B RPi's.  I discovered pi's just as the
model 2 was released and went a little over-board with projects and
purchases.  $35-55 isn't going to kill me for a new pi but I do have a
loyalty to raspberry pi and hate to toss good hardware.  Good advice about
the power supply and SD card-thanks

Again, thanks for the time and expertise to respond.  David