Well, I did not get into the development of any of the Weewx versions.
However, it would be more comfortable, just to modify the language files
only than to get through all of the skin. Therefore I would prefer to
separate labelling from internal structure and design. To me, a gettext
solution sound overpowered. But you may know better.