Fixed it, posting here for future reference,

I downloaded the free tool "DB Browser for SQLite from
https://sqlitebrowser.org/ and had alook at a copy of my databse. It was
then I realised that the values are stored in imperial, so my rainfall,
though displaying in mm is reorded in inches.

So reran the below but changed :

update archive set rainRate=NULL where rainRate > 200 (mm) to update
archive set rainRate=NULL where rainRate > 14 (in)

All worked great, tables already updated.

Cheers,

Muireadach.