Thanks Gary,

I found the source of my issue, I was logging the output of my putty
session to a file in case I needed to put the steps taken on here as per
your suggestions.
To show exactly what and where i was editing i did a "locate" command on
the weewx.sdb file and only then realised I was editing the wrong one, I
was actually editing an old backup in the wrong location, hense it not
working! Doh!

Thanks for offering to help, you already did in a roundabout way in the end!