Hello,

On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 9:44:26 PM UTC-4, Xant wrote:

> Ok... so, what about OWM "triggers" (which OWM calls "alerts"), and its
> also available to all services - free, included.

Be careful! Pat was correct when he said OWM does not support alerts. The
alerts in OWM are not at all the same as alerts in DarkSky which are
textual time-sensitive messages that are relayed from the local weather
service that warn of severe weather of some kind.

Even if OWM had the same kind of alerts as DarkSky, the free plan only
allows for 50 API calls a day compared to over 1000 for DarkSky. So if you
poll the forecast API once an hour to get forecast data, that only leaves
26 API calls for alerts which means polling for them only once an hour
which is not often enough for time-sensitive information.

However, the OWM alert API is to implement custom triggers so one can be
alerted when certain weather conditions change beyond a certain
user-defined threshold such as for temperature or wind, etc. The API does
not return textual alert messages from the local weather service the way
DarkSky does.

In any case, when and if alerts are supported, they should be checked in a
more timely manner than forecasting data. However, some alerts are so
time-sensitive that several minutes can mean life or death. So alerts
should show some disclaimer that they may be delayed and not to rely on the
site for critical weather information and decision making.

-Bill