To measure my lake elevation I use a MaxBotix ultrasonic range finder. In
my python code, running on the Pi, which every 10 minutes takes a reading
from the sensor and stores it in a static file on /dev/sda1, I do a simple
QC check, comparing the previous reading and if the delta is unreasonable I
set a data-invalid flag and the code leaves the previous reading for the
weewx service to pickup. It's not perfect but prevents the kind of crazy
spikes that comes from a bird or otter sitting under the sensor or other
electronic artifact.
Phil