Yes, you did use the Debian package installer.

You should be able to just do

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install weewx

If you're concerned about breaking things, make a backup of your database
file /var/lib/weewx/weewx.sdb. It's the only thing that's irreplaceable.
But, you've been doing that anyway, right? :-)

-tk