On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 11:15:24 AM UTC-7, Kenneth Sherwood wrote:

> Still having trouble. Somehow I think Cheetah is installed but not being
> recognized:
>
> sherwood@sherwood-IdeaCentre-A730:~$ python3 -m pip install cheetah3
> Collecting cheetah3
>   Downloading
> https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/dc/48/e81a2cfd8ee730ae37b2e2a2ef9bfd1f20d2b5c617567e36e72c8d583c09/Cheetah3-3.2.4-cp36-cp36m-manylinux1_x86_64.whl
>
> (671kB)
>     100% |████████████████████████████████| 675kB 1.8MB/s
> Installing collected packages: cheetah3
> Successfully installed cheetah3-3.2.4

Good - cheetah 'is' installed via pip3

> sherwood@sherwood-IdeaCentre-A730:~$ sudo apt-get install weewx
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>  weewx : Depends: python3-cheetah but it is not installable

Again, if you google the 'E' (error) line above you'll see what happened.
Apt can lose its mind.  Very frustrating.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/389156/how-to-fix-held-broken-packages
first answer has some options.

I think if you do the "apt-get install weewx -f" (ie, force it) that
somebody else suggested, it might work and run ok.   Might be worth a try.

Now regarding the debian package for weewx v4, I don't know if it's looking
for a "package" containing cheetah, or just the existence of cheetah even
if it was installed via pip.   If it's the former and your distro doesn't
"have" a package, then you're always going to need to force the package to
install.  Building packages to cover every os when every os is different is
hard.