Hi Tom,

The apt install -f doesn't mean force it means fix broken....if possible.
Doesn't always work, but worth a try.

*-f*, *--fix-broken*
           Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place.
This option, when
           used with install/remove, can omit any packages to permit APT to
deduce a likely
           solution. If packages are specified, these have to completely
correct the problem. The
           option is sometimes necessary when running APT for the first time;
APT itself does not
           allow broken package dependencies to exist on a system. It is
possible that a system's
           dependency structure can be so corrupt as to require manual
intervention (which
           usually means using *dpkg* *--remove* to eliminate some of the
offending packages). Use of
           this option together with *-m* may produce an error in some
situations. Configuration
           Item: APT::Get::Fix-Broken.