You are correct about Seasons and Locale.

The one that was in 12 hour had a US locale.  The one that was in 24 hour
had a GB locale.
When I fixed the locale of the latter, it went to 12-hour.

Note though:  When I changed  "hour ="  to "%I:%M %p", it had no effect.  I
had to change the locale to get it to work the way I wanted.

Thanks,
Bob