On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 07:44:37 UTC+10, Paul Anderson wrote:

> So I guess I'm a perdoid control freak

I hope that is not too painful :)

The other point of concern is over blindly pasting the full  [Accumulator]
> stanza into weewx.conf when running as a service. Feel it's really easy for
> someone not to realize the unattended consequences caused by the fact that
> this will affect the Accumulator type for fields generated by the normal
> driver and other services in use in addition to the GW1000 service.

Just to be clear let's work through this when using the GW1000 driver as a
service. Every field accumulated by the accumulator has a default extractor
of 'avg' (which gives the average of all loop values seen in the archive
period to date). If the field concerned is populated and is being mapped
through from the GW1000 to WeeWX under the default field map then all is
good, the appropriate extractor is being/will be used. If the field is
populated by the (non-GW1000) driver or some other service and if that
field was relying on the default extractor, then the GW1000 installer would
clobber that default extractor. If the other field had an explicit
extractor in weewx.conf then wee_extension would respect that existing
setting and it would not be clobbered. If the user defines a field map
using [[field_map]] or alters the default field map with
[[field_map_extensions]] then wee_extension will not know about these
changes and potentially the newly mapped field will have the wrong
extractor. So there are a couple of corner cases that could cause issues,
though the latter case is just as much of an issue when using the GW1000
driver as a driver as it is when using it as a service.

One thing to remember, the existence of an extractor entry for a field that
does not exist has no affect on the operation of WeeWX other than taking up
a few more bytes of memory/disk space.

I'll put this down as an issue to look at later, for now I think it can be
handled with a note or two in the install instructions. In fact that may be
the final solution, the extension installer is only capable of so much. I
am hesitant to fully remove populating the extractors, I suspect doing that
and the follow on need for users to manually the extractors will cause just
as many support issues.

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 08:28:11 UTC+10, Paul Anderson wrote:

> Gary sorry to be a pain in the neck

Not at all, this driver is complex and has a lot of corner cases that I
likely won't find without the help of others, thank you for your input.

Gary