I think this is really a multipart question, but I am trying to understand
the best/proper way to add Ecowitt soil sensors to my reports. Keeping in
mind that I want to be able to upgrade to future releases as they come
available with the least amount of post upgrade effort.

*Setup*
Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
WeeWx v4.1.1 using setup.py
gw1000-0.1.0b11
sqlite db
Seasons skin
Ecowitt GW1000 WiFi Gateway
1 Outdoor Temp Sensor
1 Indoor Temp Sensor
5 Soil Moisture Sensors (temporarily 5th sensor is broken while waiting for
replacement)

Out of the box everything is showing up in the Seasons' report except my
soil moisture sensors. I do have data for the first 4 soil moisture sensors
in the sqlite db, but nothing for 5th one.  And I can see there is no entry
in the db for SoilMoisture sensors 5-8. So begins my adventure of learning
more about this awesome project called WeeWx.

So I am thinking I have at least 3 tasks.

First I need to extend the db to accommodate SoilMoisture sensors 5-8?
For this task do I extend the schema by modifying the wview_extended.py and
the wview.py to include these extra sensors in the db? Or is the better
approach to use something like adding a new type to the database as
described in the Customization Guide?

Second modify the reporting mechanism to show SoilMoisture in my Seasons'
report.
I'm really uncertain for this portion. I did a grep in the /home/weewx/bin/
directory, and I can see several files where "soil " is referenced. Do I
just need to add entries in these files for extra sensors?

*Command used: *
    grep -iHR soil /home/weewx/bin/*

*Relevant files (or so I think) referencing the word "soil".*
    /home/weewx/bin/schemas/wview.py
    /home/weewx/bin/schemas/wview_extended.py
    /home/weewx/bin/user/gw1000.py (this one seems to already have all the
sensors)
    /home/weewx/bin/weewx/units.py
    /home/weewx/bin/weewx/restx.py

And would the last task be to update the appropriate files in
the /home/weewx/skins/Seasons/ to actually generate the graphs I want to
have displayed in my report?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
Rob