Thank you both Graham and Gary! Would either of you or someone else mind
reviewing my proposed steps?

In reading the Adding a new type to the database
<http://weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#add_archive_type>, and what you have
both provided, I think I have a good understanding except for the 4th step.
Below are the steps I think I need to follow.

*Step 1.*
Stop WeeWX

/etc/init.d/weewx stop

*Step 2.*
Make a backup of the sqlite database

cp /home/weewx/archive/weewx.sdb /home/weewx/archive/weewx.sdb.bkup08232020a

*Step 3.*
Edit the "/home/weewx/bin/user/extensions.py" file.

#
#    Copyright (c) 2009-2015 Tom Keffer <tkef...@gmail.com>
#
#    See the file LICENSE.txt for your full rights.
#

"""User extensions module

This module is imported from the main executable, so anything put here will
be
executed before anything else happens. This makes it a good place to put
user
extensions.
"""
my_schema = {
                'table': schemas.wview_extended.table + [
                    ('soilMoist5', 'REAL'),
                    ('soilMoist6', 'REAL'),
                    ('soilMoist7', 'REAL'),
                    ('soilMoist8', 'REAL')
                    ],

                'day_summaries' : schemas.wview_extended.day_summaries +
[('soilMoist5','scalar'),('soilMoist6','scalar'),('soilMoist7','scalar'),('soilMoist8',
'scalar')]

import weewx.units

                weewx.units.obs_group_dict['soilMoist5'] = 'group_moisture'
weewx.units.obs_group_dict['soilMoist6'] = 'group_moisture'
weewx.units.obs_group_dict['soilMoist7'] = 'group_moisture'
weewx.units.obs_group_dict['soilMoist8'] = 'group_moisture'

import locale
# This will use the locale specified by the environment variable 'LANG'
# Other options are possible. See:
# http://docs.python.org/2/library/locale.html#locale.setlocale
locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')

*Step 4.*
Change the line "schema = schemas.wview_extended.schema" to "schema =
user.extensions.my_schema" for the [[wx_binding]] option under
the [DataBindings] in my "/home/weewx/weewx.conf" file.

[DataBindings]

    [[wx_binding]]
        # The database must match one of the sections in [Databases].
        # This is likely to be the only option you would want to change.
        database = archive_sqlite
        # The name of the table within the database
        table_name = archive
        # The manager handles aggregation of data for historical summaries
        manager = weewx.manager.DaySummaryManager
        # The schema defines the structure of the database.
        # It is *only* used when the database is created.
        #schema = schemas.wview_extended.
*schema = user.extensions.my_schema*
    [[forecast_binding]]
        manager = weewx.manager.Manager
        schema = user.forecast.schema
        table_name = archive
        database = forecast_sqlite

*Step 5.*
Run the following command to create and populate the new database.

/home/weewx/bin/wee_database /home/weewx/weewx.conf --reconfigure

*Step 6.*
Replace the old database with the one created in Step 5.

mv /home/weewx/archive/weewx.sdb_new /home/weewx/archive/weewx.sdb

*Step 7.*
Start WeeWX

/etc/init.d/weewx start

Thanks again!