You didn't post what the "syntax errors" are, so it's hard to evaluate what
went wrong. I suspect the problem is a technical one: precisely seven days
earlier from the time may or may not lie on the start of a day. If it does
not lie on the start of a day, then the daily summaries cannot be used to
calculate 'wind' statistics. But, without seeing the "syntax error", I'm
just guessing.

Why not just use the search list extension example that comes with WeeWX?
It creates a tag $seven_day, which does what you want.

See the section *Extending the list
<http://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#extending_the_list>* in the
Customization Guide.

-tk